Road and Parking Lot Repair & Gunite Wash
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) awarded West Point Contractors, Inc. (WPC) a Performance Oriented Construction Activity (POCA) contract in 2014. This project was awarded as Task Order No. 0001 for Asphalt/Seal Roads & Parking Lots and Gunite Wash located at the Tucson Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Arizona. This task order consisted of flood recovery, infrastructure recovery, and emergency management. The project involved the construction of a drainage channel to tie into the upstream and downstream locations, as well as tying in the existing side channel flows while maintaining positive drainage. WPC addressed the unsuitable soil conditions in the proposed channel bottom.
Scope of Work
- Remove and replace 75,000 square feet of asphaltic concrete
- Apply 40,000 square yards of roadways and parking lots.
- Re-stripe 55,250 linear feet of roadways and parking lots.
- Repainting all handicapped and parking spaces in all requested areas.
- Adjust the slope at Gunite Wash to allow for proper storm water drainage.
- Install 1,150 linear feet of new Gunite Wash
- 1,300 feet shotcrete drainage channel constructed tying into upstream and down stream locations
- Flood Recovery: The work also included addressing unsuitable soil conditions in the proposed channel bottom also tying into existing side channel flows while maintaining positive drainage.
- Infrastructure Recovery: Both the channel and roadway repairs were time and scheduling sensitive in order to maintain access to the patient facilities.
- Emergency Management: Dealt with unanticipated off season flows during the channel construction without affecting the schedule.
- Military: The project addressed roadway and parking lot repairs without interrupting the VA’s critical patient care mission.