Luke Air Force Base Building Demolition
This demolition project was awarded to West Point Contractors through a negotiated bid process in 2010. Work consisted of demolishing several decommissioned single and multi-story base facilities in preparation for new building construction. Landscaping consisted of pruning and the removal of trees. WPC received exceptional rating on CPARS performance review and was awarded a second demolition contract based on performance and value.
Scope of Work
- Abatement and demolition.
- Removed of multiple facilities including all concrete foundation slabs, footings, piers, steps, and ramps.
- Testing for asbestos containing material and lead-based paint.
- Capped all utilities at the main line in accordance with Base Utility Shop requirements.
- Refrigerant in existing chillers was evacuated, contained, inventoried, and returned to 56 CES.
- Asphalt paving.
- Removal and replacement of sidewalks, curbing and gutters.
- Removed fire hydrants, electrical transformers, and lighting.
- Removed and replaced existing trees and landscaping.
- The ground was leveled to match existing grade while retaining proper drainage.
- The ground was topped with two inches of decomposed granite to match existing landscape.
- Installation of curb, gutters, and sidewalk.
- Installation of asphalt paving for parking lots.
- Managed multiple suppliers, vendors and subcontractors.
- Effectively managed on-site personnel meeting high quality and safety standards along with effective tenant relations.
- Simultaneous management of multiple phases with multiple disciplines and schedules.
- Special coordination with base personnel and facilities management was required due to the location to runways and relocating base personnel.
- AT/FB training for site personnel.
- AT/FB standards on bollard installation.
- All six sites were demolished in accordance with LEED green building guidelines. Points accumulated helping to achieve LEED Silver or higher status.
- Hazardous material abatement.
- Base access coordination with personnel, suppliers and subcontractors.