This project was performed by West Point Contractors, Inc. (WPC) for the Federal Bureau of Prisons, under an IDIQ Design-Build Contract for Federal Bureau of Prisons (FBOP). The Design-Build contract was awarded to WPC with a base and 3 option years for commercial building, demolition, and heavy civil construction services for facilities within the western region serving 20 institutions, 1 private facility, and 5 RRM Field Offices across 11 states. All work was performed in an active Federal Correction Facility. These FCIs maintain extremely stringent security measures and coordination with multiple levels of security staffing is required. Lock-Out-Tag-Out procedures are followed with every tool, and piece of material. The design and construction required strict accordance to Bureau of Prison standards and specifications for installation in secure facilities. Lock downs and stop work orders were a daily occurrence requiring extensive management of personnel and subcontractors. Water system was designed and coordinated with approval from ADOT, ADEQ, BLM, and BOP. Efforts to ensure water quality, supply, and system (pump, pipe and fittings) would provide meet the facilities water demands. Water studies were conducted, site layout was designed, and mechanical and electrical engineering was performed. WPC self-performed 75% of the project. That included project management, well site installation of pumps and security fencing, 3,800 linear feet of 6 inch waterline installation including excavation, bedding, pipe, backfill, asphalt paving, boring, tie-ins, testing, commissioning and startup, demolition, drywall, stucco removal and patching, as well as all the steel cutting and loading for disposal.
Scope of Work
- Reactivating an unused well to provide an “off-the-grid” additional water source to the facility.
- Construction of a new 6 inch waterline, new well pump, new underground electrical and new underground communication lines for controls.
- Pump house upgrades included mechanical motors, pumps, and valves were replaced or upgraded for the integration into the facility.
- Design & construction of a fire alarm & wet sprinkler suppression system for the Administration Building and the Programming Space Building. Trades included utility installation, communications, drywall installation, and acoustic tile, painting and testing.
- Abatement and demolition of a water tower and water tank. This included the testing and abatement of lead paint.
- Demolition through use of cranes of the water tower, cutting/torching of steel for removal, trucking and disposal of hazardous waste.
- Effectively managed on-site personnel meeting high quality and safety standards along with effective tenant relations
- Simultaneous management of multiple phases with multiple disciplines and schedules
- Adhered to stringent client requirements for security and safety.
- Photography and Videography prohibited due to security.